Transfer . . . Transfer . . . Transfer . . .
Portsmouth and Campbell
Portsmouth have confirmed that Sol
Campbell will sign for them later on Tuesday, subject to
Campbell had a medical at Fratton Park on Monday.
Newcastle have also tracked the 31-year-old England international
but Manchester City denied they made a late move for the
Arsenal released Campbell in July because he wanted a new
The defender, who spent five years at Highbury, did not
train with Portsmouth on Tuesday.
But his decision to even consider a move to the south coast
has surprised Gunners manager Arsene Wenger.
"I have no regrets," Wenger said of his choice
to release the player. "But it is a big surprise to
me because he cancelled his contract to go abroad.
"Have you sold Portsmouth to a foreign country? No."
Pompey boss Harry Redknapp is looking to partner Campbell
with either Manchester City's Sylvain Distin or Blackburn's
Redknapp is keen on Distin, who is in the last year of
his contract at Manchester City and would cost around £4m.
Campbell is still better than the majority of centre-backs
in the Premiership
He has also tendered a bid for New Zealand international
Nelsen, although it has been rebuffed by Blackburn boss
With no transfer fee involved for the England defender,
Portsmouth will more easily be able to meet Campbell's salary,
which was believed to be in the region of £80,000 a week
at Highbury but is likely to come down considerably.
Campbell announced at the end of last season that he was
leaving the Gunners to seek "a new challenge"
after five years with the London club.
He made 197 appearances for the Gunners and won five major
trophies after joining the club from arch rivals Tottenham
Fabio Capello wants Rossi
Real Madrid coach Fabio Capello has set his sights on bringing
Italian international Daniele de Rossi to the Bernebeu,
according to press reports from Spain.
Sports daily Marca insists the Spanish giants have made
inquiries as to the availability of the midfielder, but
were told he was not for sale.
Roma will play in this year's Champions League after Juventus
and Fiorentina were both ejected from the competition for
their part in the Serie A match-fixing scandal, and are
reluctant to let go of one of their key players.
The paper also insists that Real were offered the player
last December, but decided against signing him.
Benitez wants another striker
LONDRA, Aug 2 GMT 18.00
Liverpool boss Rafael Benitez wants to buy a new striker
- and reports suggest Dirk Kuyt could be on his way to Anfield.
Benitez watched his Reds side lose again on their pre-season
travels, with Craig Bellamy starting as a lone striker against
The Spaniard admitted to the Liverpool Echo: "Maybe
it's too late for the Champions League qualification round,
but there is one month left and that gives us the time to
sign the player we need.
"I think we still need an extra striker, just in case.
I'm happy with the strikers we have but I think we need
another and I'm confident we'll sign one."
Benitez has lost Djibril Cisse and Fernando Morientes this
summer and has recruited only Bellamy.
Dutchman Kuyt seems the favourite to become the Merseysiders'
fourth senior striker, with the Echo saying that the Feyenoord
hitman favours Anfield despite interest from Manchester
Patrick Vieira is to sign
for Inter Milan
MILAN, Aug 1 - Juventus midfielder Patrick Vieira is to
sign for Inter Milan, part of an exodus of players from
the Turin club following Italy's match-fixing scandal.
Inter's owner Massimo Moratti told reporters that Tuesday
was Vieira's last day with Juventus and he would sign a
four-year contract with Inter on Wednesday.
"He should sign the contract tomorrow," an Inter
spokesman quoted Moratti as saying, adding that Vieira was
in Milan on Tuesday for a medical checkup.
Former Arsenal captain Vieira would be the latest player
to leave Juventus after the club was relegated to Serie
B for conspiring with referees and linesmen to rig games
during the 2004-05 season.
The departures of Italy's World Cup captain Fabio Cannavaro,
Brazilian midfielder Emerson, and defenders Gianluca Zambrotta
and Lilian Thuram have raised fears that Juventus could
struggle to win immediate promotion back to Serie A.
Juventus coach Didier Deschamps said last week that no
more of his players would be leaving the club.
However, the Gazzetta dello Sport said on Tuesday that
AC Milan were trying to sign both Juventus's Italy goalkeeper
Gianluigi Buffon and Swedish striker Zlatan Ibrahimovic.
Inter were awarded the 2005-06 Italian league title last
week after a sports tribunal revoked Juventus's title win
due to the match-fixing scandal.
Roberto Carlos Continue
Brazilian defender Roberto Carlos
has said he wants to continue with Real Madrid after speaking
to new coach Fabio Capello.
"I want to stay at the club.
I say it loudly and clearly," the fullback told Spanish
sports daily AS on Monday.
After 10 years with Real the 33-year-old
had hinted at a possible move at the end of last season,
saying he had received an offer from English champions Chelsea
for a three-year contract.
Turkish side Fenerbahce, now managed
by Brazilian Zico, are also reported to be interested in
taking the player who has one year left on his contract
at Real with an option of another dependant on the number
of games he plays next season.
"After returning from my holidays
I feel good. Capello has given me new enthusiasm and I am
a lot happier," he added.
"We have had a long chat and
spoken about everything. He has told me he is counting on
me, that he wants me in the side and that he expects a lot
Roberto Carlos has yet to speak to
Real sports director Predrag Mijatovic, who is arriving
at their pre-season training camp in Austria on Tuesday.
"I would like to make sure of
the second year of my contract so that I know I can continue
in the team until 2008," he said.
"But we will have to see what
happens. I have spoken to Capello and now I have to explain
to Mijatovic what I told the coach."
Roberto Carlos, who has won thee
Champions League titles with Real, retired from international
football after the World Cup finals in Germany.
MADRID, July 31 13.00
AC Milan targets Fernando
join chase for £27m United target
Fernando Torres is being linked with a move to the San Siro
by reports in Italy
Mail The FansFC Editor
Send This Article To A Friend
Post Your View on The Msg Board
The Atletico Madrid striker, scorer
of 68 goals in 138 games for his club, is one of the hottest
properties in European football, with Manchester United
firmly in the chase for his signature.
We usually spring a surprise around
the transfer deadline and were hoping to do the same again,
AC Milan transfer supremo Ariedo Braida has been quoted
It would be good to give our unique
fans a present.
18:46 July, 30, 2006
Tevez signals Premiership
Tevez signals Premiership interest
Carlos Tevez has sparked interest from top English clubs
by revealing he is ready to quit Corinthians this year for
his family's sake.
The Argentinian striker is aware that Chelsea and Manchester
United would head the queue of clubs ready to take him to
England and says he could move forward his long-term goal
of playing in Europe by a year after a recent clash with
fans in Brazil.
Tevez angered the Corinthians faithful with a "shut
up" gesture to the home crowd after scoring last week
as Corinthians patchy start to the season has caused tension
between the players and the fans.
The 23-year-old former Boca Juniors star will not take his
wife and daughter to Corinthians matches any more because
of the uneasy atmosphere at the matches and revealed it
may force him out of the club.
Corinthians, owned by the MSI group,
look set to cash in and have already spoken to Chelsea about
a future deal while Tevez has been pictured wearing a Manchester
United shirt given to him by his good friend Gabriel Heinze.